History of Universitas Pertamina
Pertamina University (also known as UP) was founded upon the Surat Keputusan (SK) Menteri Riset, Teknologi, dan Pendidikan Tinggi No. 60/KPT/I/2016 published on February 1st, 2016 regarding the opening of Pertamina University. The inauguration however, was held on February 11th, 2016 by the Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education and the President Director of PT. Pertamina (Persero), supported by the Ministry of State Owned Enterprises (BUMN) and the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources.
UP is a contribution offered by PT. Pertamina (Persero) for the Indonesian society in the form of higher education. UP was founded with an objective, which is to become a world-class university in the business and energy technology industries.
Pertamina University is managed and run by Pertamina Foundation whom in 2012-2014 provided over Rp. 300 billion for various education and environment-oriented events and activities such as the Education for Sustainable Development (Sekolah Sobat Bumi), research funding and awarding, scholarships, volunteering and environmental restoration.
Meanwhile in 2015, Pertamina Foundation shifted its focus into the education sector, mainly to the expansion of the scope of work and program funding and additionally, establishing an information technology-based program management system and the establishment of Pertamina University.
Pertamina University offers 6 faculties and 15 study programs for undergrads as follows:
– Faculty of Exploration & Production Technologies; Geophysical Engineering, Petroleum Engineering and Geological Engineering
– Faculty of Industrial Technologies: Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Logistics Engineering and Electrical Engineering
– Faculty of Business and Economics: Management and Economics
– Faculty of Civil & Environmental Engineering: Civil Engineering and Environmental Engineering
– Faculty of Science & Computing: Chemistry and Computing
– Faculty of Communication and Diplomacy: Communications and International Relations
These faculties and study programs are directly supported by the best lecturers and professors from inside and outside Indonesia with Master’s and Doctorate degrees, as well as 225 supporting staff including non-permanent lecturers, technicians, laborers, librarians, and teachers. These numbers are expected to grow in the coming years.
As stated in the university’s roadmap, UP aims to be included in the Top World University’s list. To achieve that objective, UP will fulfill several criterias which will be described as follows:
- Establishing high-quality graduates with high level of competitiveness to become global champion.
- Establishing high-quality innovations and researches that could be utilized for Indonesia and the world.
- Actively being a big part of the dissemination process of the innovations and researches to the society.
Furthermore, UP intends to improve and ensure the nation’s education level by providing high-quality yet affordable education. Pertamina University offers merit scholarships and scholarships for people of lower financial status.